Choosing the right design for your kitchen cabinets can not only transform your kitchen but can also significantly impact your home's resale value. In the world of cabinetry, two styles have stood the test of time and remain ever-popular - the European Flat Panel and the Shaker style. But how do you choose between the two, and what implications does your choice have on your home's value?
European Flat Panel Cabinets
European Flat Panel cabinets, also known as slab cabinets, are an ideal choice for contemporary and modern kitchens. This design's key characteristic is the completely flat front, resulting in a clean, uncluttered look. Here's a breakdown of the pros and cons of Flat Panel cabinets:
- They are easier to clean than any other style.
- They tend to be slightly less expensive as they require less material than other door styles.
- They come in a wide range of colors, including various shades of wood.
- They provide a simplistic backdrop in a kitchen with other busy elements (countertops, backsplash tile, etc.).
- The flat appearance is great for mid-century modern designs.
- They are easy to upgrade with time, should you choose to paint or stain them.
- Hardware stands out strongly on flat cabinet doors, which is great if you want to accentuate that element of your kitchen.
- They might be too simplistic for some kitchen designs.
- Some homeowners complain about fingerprints on flat panel doors, though that’s largely based on the color and finish.
- Low-end slab cabinets are subject to warping, but that is the case with most low-grade materials.
- If you do not want your hardware to be noticeable, flat panel cabinetry may not be right for you.
While Flat Panel cabinets are currently in style, trends can change. The good news is, this cabinet design tends to come back in style as quickly as it goes out of style, and you can easily update them to fit with the latest trends.
Shaker Style Cabinets
On the other hand, Shaker-style cabinets are known for their classic and timeless design. Defined by their five-piece door with a recessed center panel, Shaker cabinets are versatile, fitting perfectly in traditional, transitional, and even modern kitchen designs. White Shaker cabinets, in particular, are a favorite due to their ability to blend seamlessly with various designs and styles.
Resale Value Considerations
When it comes to resale value, your choice of kitchen style can make a big difference. While both European Flat Panel and Shaker styles are popular, the universal appeal of the Shaker style, especially in white, can be an advantageous choice for resale. White Shaker cabinets offer a timeless, clean, and bright feel to the kitchen, attributes that potential buyers often appreciate.
However, the decision should ultimately align with your personal taste and the overall design theme of your home. Remember, a well-designed, functional, and aesthetically pleasing kitchen can attract potential buyers and add significant value to your home.
Boosting Your Property’s Resale Value
Join us on our blog as we continue to share professional insights into the impact of different kitchen styles on your home's resale value, along with tips and ideas to boost your property’s worth. Stay tuned for more interior wisdom and don’t forget to follow us for all your home makeover inspiration!